Email     Email     PDF    Print Print

Where Did the Time Go?

Where Did the Time Go?

Valuable Tips to Save Time

Valuable Tips to Save Time

Where Did the Time Go?

1. Those who waste the most time are usually the first to complain of having too little.
2. Being busy is not the same as being productive.
3. Do you repeat mistakes or learn from them?
4. Do you invest your time or spend it?
5. If everything is a priority, nothing is a priority.
6. Urgent is not the same as important.
7. Do little daily distractions sidetrack you from getting big things done?
8. Do you spend more time stressing about what has to be done or doing it?
9. Do you start everything from scratch?
10. Do you get easily overwhelmed and become unproductive?
11. Do you gravitate to things that you enjoy or to your priorities?
12. How many times do you redo something because you rushed it the first time?
13. Do you let other people hijack your time?
14. Do you believe in preventative maintenance or wait until things break down?
15. Do you address small problems before they get BIG?
16. Do you anticipate situations or react to them?
17. Do you spend more time lighting fires or putting them out?
18. Do you buy time by getting less sleep and then lose time because you’re overtired?
19. Do you buy things because you think you like them, only to return them later?
20. After making decisions, do you look forward or backward?
21. How much valuable time do you waste trying to save a few dollars?
22. Are you productive while you’re waiting for someone?
23. Do you settle for excellence or strive for perfection?
24. Are you conscious of how you spend your time?
25. Do you help everyone except yourself?
26. Do you call three times or leave a voicemail?
27. Do you buy cheap merchandise and replace it regularly?
28. How many times do you read something before acting on it?
29. The two greatest time-savers are saying, “I don’t know” and “I was wrong.”
30. Are you decisive or do you rethink and rethink and rethink decisions?
31. Do you fill up your gas tank or make several stops each week?
32. Do you tackle your day by completing the next item on the to-do list or what’s most important?
33. Do you cancel meetings if there’s nothing to discuss or do you meet because it’s on your calendar?
34. Do you ask all your questions at once or go back again and again?
35. Do you stress over things that you can’t change?
36. How much time do you spend on low-priority items?
37. Do you spend more time building relationships or mending them?
38. How much time do you spend looking for things?
39. Do you consolidate similar activities to save time?
40. Do you learn anything after running into a wall? (Or, do you run into it again?)
41. If you don’t take time to smell the roses, both you and your nose will be missing out.
42. Do you insist on approving everything, yet are unavailable to review anything?
43. Does your schedule conflict with your priorities?
44. Do you set aside quality time with your family?
45. Do you measure achievement by the time that you put into something or by the value that you provide?
46. It’s important to say no to some people in order to say yes to others.
47. Do you take the time to reflect on your day?
48. Do you have any downtime?
49. Do you focus on doing things right or on doing the right things?
50. Do you have more on your to-do list than you can possibly do?
51. Do you set a specific time for returning calls and e-mails?
52. Do you strategize the most efficient way to get things done?
53. Do you reduce clutter and throw out junk?
54. If you can’t find the time, it’s not important.
55. Do you select one thing to accomplish each day?

Additional Reading:
13 Elements of a Great Strategy
How to Destroy Creativity and Innovation
Trust Me: 55 Ways to Build Trust and Credibility

If you like this poster, subscribe to our blog so that you don’t miss a single post. Get future posts by RSS feed, email or Facebook. It’s FREE. Click your favorite option (top right).

Frank Sonnenberg

Frank Sonnenberg has written four books and published over 300 articles. • Trust Across America named Sonnenberg one of America's Top 100 Thought Leaders of 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 • Sonnenberg was nominated as one of America's Most Influential Small Business Experts of 2012 • In 2011, Social Media Marketing Magazine (SMM) selected Sonnenberg as one of the top marketing authors in the world on Twitter. • Managing with a Conscience (2nd edition) was selected as one of the top 10 Small Business Books of 2012. • FrankSonnenbergOnline is listed among the "Best 21st Century Leadership Blogs." www.FrankSonnenbergOnline.com | Character • Personal Values • Personal Responsibility © 2014 Frank Sonnenberg. All rights reserved.

35 Responses to “Where Did the Time Go?”

• Susan says:

Wow! Excellent questions–

• Marc says:

Wow…I guess I do gravitate towards things I enjoy over priorities sometimes! This won’t be the first time a poster taught me a lesson (thanks Smokey the Bear)…and thanks again Frank!

I also always, always enjoy this one:
    The two greatest time-savers are saying, “I don’t know” and
    “I was wrong.”

• Tanya Mitchell says:

So true!

• Ed Han says:

Those are excellent, esp the two big time savers!

• Shivaun says:

Busy work vs productive work: great tips!
    Have to get to work!

• Bev. Rath says:

When the few extra hours are found, I will keep them as my secret treasure so that no one will fill them for me.
    All kidding aside, time is precious and we all need to be reminded of the bigger picture.

• Susan Mazza says:

Great list Frank and I love the format – it is now hanging on my wall. A great tool to use when you or someone you know is complaining about not enough time!

• Boris Rasonja says:

Very nice, thanks for sharing it with us!
    Excellent work, Frank.

• Pat Garlock says:

Very thought provoking. Now, let’s see if I can change a few things and enjoy all that time I’m wasting!

• Frank Sonnenberg says:

Susan, Marc, Tanya, Ed, Shivaun, Bev

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Keeping it all together these days is tough job. I hope some of these ideas buy you an extra minute or two.

• Nancy O'Neill says:

Love your common sense approach and great questions everyone should be asking themselves. And the fact that you cleverly put this post in a “poster” format was brilliant!

• Shawn Murphy says:

Frank,
    I really like this. The design is great. The questions thought-provoking.

Any way it can be made for legal paper? No worries if not. Still fantastic.

• Andrés Silva A. says:

Impressive. Great questions!!

• Frank Sonnenberg says:

Susan, Boris, Pat, Nancy, Shawn, Andres

Thanks so much for your comments.

Time flies. And so does news via social media. The recent comments, listed above, came from the U.S. (Connecticut, Florida and California) as well as Croatia and Chile .

• Sarah @RaisingCEOKids says:

Hi Frank – This is fabulous! I am printing it out and putting it on my bathroom mirror and fridge!

Thank you for your excellence!

Best to you!

Sarah Cook, Co-Author of “The Parents’ Guide to Raising CEO Kids” http://RaisingCEOKids.com

• Theresa Delgado says:

Frank,

WOW! Your list really makes you think. I’m happy to say that I have worked on a lot of these items with success.

There are a few I could definitely improve.

I’m keep this pdf close by. :)

Theresa

• Jordan Kimmel says:

I like to share # 23 around our home a lot. Thanks for bringing it up Frank!
    One of my favorite songs has the words, “Things are only as important as I want them to be …”

• Terry Del Percio says:

I’m with Ed Han – the two biggest timesavers are so important…saying “I was wrong” and “I don’t know”. Great list and a little overwhelming too. Thanks Frank.

• Doug Mather says:

Frank,

How did you know EXACTLY which questions I needed to be asked?

Thank you for the nudge.

Doug

• Rossana says:

Fantastic questions. My favorites are too numerous to mention.

• Michael Klein says:

Frank:
    Wow–that’s a great list…and inspiring.

But now I’m 5 minutes behind in whatever trivial thing I was working on…

Thanks for sending this my way Shivaun. Hope to see you soon,

Mike

• Leyane Jerejian says:

Excellent food for thought. Time is the most precious commodity. Great advice can be found within the answers to these questions.

I love #54 hits home for me right now. I say things are important to me but I just don’t make the time for them! Great lesson for today..

• Frank Sonnenberg says:

Sarah, Theresa, Jordan, Terry, Doug, Rossana, Michael, Leyane

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. It’s clear by the number of responses that this post hits a nerve. Leyane got it right when she said that time is our most precious commodity. That’s why my favorite line is, “Do you invest your time or spend it?”

• Carolyn Jones says:

Shivaun,
    These are great! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Best,
    Carolyn
    Best to Frank!

• Mary Eggert says:

Agreed with all. These are great. Just discussed in a peer networking forum the importance of limiting our focus each day to our top 3. While I thought I accomplished much more than that daily, it’s surprising what a difference it makes when we are accomplishing the right things vs. ANYthing. Thanks, Frank!

• Frank Sonnenberg says:

Thanks so much for your comment Mary.

Your thoughts are right on the mark. If everyone focused their efforts AND did “the right things vs. anything” their efficiency and effectiveness would skyrocket.

Have a wonderful day!

Best,

Frank

• [...] yes, we want to be more productive, to get ahead, to stay connected. Or is it simply out of fear that the other guy will pass us by? [...]

• Chris Oestereich says:

Very nice. This is going up in my office.

I wrote something related last year. http://rightbrainedpm.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/should-you-really-be-doing-that-time-management/#entry

• Frank Sonnenberg says:

Thanks for your kind words Chris. BTW, I read your post. Well done! Too many people don’t distinguish between “urgent” and “important.”

• [...] Where Did the Time Go?–A great downloadable poster to put up around the office with quick time management tips and questions. [...]

• […] Reading: How to Destroy Creativity and Innovation Where Did the Time Go? 55 Ways to Build Trust and […]

• […] Reading: 13 Elements of a Great Strategy Where Did the Time Go? Trust Me: 55 Ways to Build Trust and […]

• […] a scarce resource; it has become a competitive weapon. Although you cannot increase time, it can be better and more effectively utilized. Today, when the efficient use of time often determines success, we must examine how organizations […]

• […] Reading: Make It a Habit Ways to Say You Care Where Did the Time Go? Trust Me: 55 Ways to Build Trust and […]