The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The same can be said of performing any activity, tackling any issue, or making progress in general. Yet, some people opt for a topsy-turvy lifestyle in which everything goes in twists and turns. It should come as no surprise that this behavior can be a constant source of stress that can wreak havoc with your life. The truth is, it doesn’t have to be that way. Do you make your life complicated?
Your life is as complicated as you make it.
“Why do we allow this to happen?” you ask. The problem is that some people are unaware they live this way while others have bad habits that are hard to break. The fact is, many of us act before we think, live on the edge, overcommit ourselves, shoot from the hip, fail to learn from mistakes, step over a dime to save a penny, procrastinate until the last second, refuse to set priorities…and the list goes on. Then we say, “We need more time in the day,” “We want more balance in life,” and of course, “We’re stressed out.”
Do you go out of your way to complicate your life?
25 Ways to Simplify Your Life
- Prioritize. Don’t treat everything as being equally important. First things first.
- Think ahead. Know where you’re going before you try to get there.
- Do it now. Do you procrastinate? Nothing happens until you start.
- Find a shortcut. Determine whether it’s been done or you’ll reinvent the wheel.
- Limit obligations. Free up your schedule. “No” should always be an option.
- Learn by mistakes. Lessons will be repeated until they are learned.
- Delegate. Get more done and buy more time for yourself as a bonus.
- Pick your battles. Don’t waste effort on things beyond your control.
- Ignore distractions. Stop letting other people hijack your day.
- Be your own person. Make yourself proud rather than seeking approval from others.
- Be a problem solver. Address small problems before they become big ones.
- Stop overthinking. Make a decision and don’t look back.
- Value relationships. Invest in relationships to avoid the time repairing them.
- Let it go. Leave the past behind.
- Plan for an emergency. Don’t wait for a fire to locate the exits.
- Ask for help. Know your limits. Never be too proud to learn.
- End the drama. Gossip is a disease spread from mouth to mouth.
- Add by subtracting. If something no longer serves a purpose, eliminate it.
- Give it up. Don’t impose your values on others. People change when change is their choice.
- Live within your means. Learn the meaning of “enough.”
- Keep everything in perspective. Moderation is the balance of life.
- Focus. Don’t try to be good at everything –– you’ll end up being mediocre at everything.
- Manage your expectations. Settle for excellence rather than perfection.
- Be grateful. Appreciate what you have or you’ll be forced to learn what it meant to you after you lose it.
- Follow your conscience. You have to live with yourself for the rest of your life.
Simple Isn’t Always Easy
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” ~ Confucius
We’ve become so accustomed to making our life difficult that it’s become a way of life. The fact is, misguided behaviors turn into bad habits and before you know it…oh well. Practice doesn’t make perfect if you’re doing it wrong.
Don’t complain that your life is complicated — do something about it. All it takes is the will and the desire to make a change. Give it a try and you’ll find that the effort pays dividends in ways you’ve never imagined. The truth is, you may not have the control to lengthen your life, but you can do much to deepen it. Is your life complicated?
Is Your Life Complicated?
Please leave a comment and tell us what you think or share it with someone who can benefit from the information.