A lot has been said about the impact that toxic waste has on the environment. Consider the impact that toxic people have on your life. The fact is, people influence you every day. Do they inspire you or sap your energy? Do they want what’s best for you, or are they out for themselves? Do they serve as positive role models or negative influences? You probably know who serves as a positive or negative influence in your life. It makes a huge difference. Do you surround yourself with top-notch people?
16 Types of Toxic People
Toxic people pollute your attitude, retard your drive, and corrupt your morality. They drag you down, wear you out, and bring out the worst in you. This doesn’t mean toxic people always display detrimental behavior, but they definitely serve as a negative force in your life. As Ben Franklin said, “When you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.”
Here are 16 types of toxic people. Have you seen any of them lately?
- Critical. Some folks rarely see the good in the world. They find fault with everything.
- Complainers. Some people whine all day long. Tiresome, isn’t it?
- Unethical. Some folks probably know the difference between right and wrong, but you’d never know it.
- Jealous. Some people envy the achievements of others. They view success with disdain — regardless of the effort and sacrifice required to achieve it.
- Backstabbers. Some folks say they’re friends. Well…they’re not.
- Takers. Some people are always on the take. They’re always asking for a favor. If you make a request, they magically disappear.
- Pessimists. Some folks never see a bright sunny day. They only see clouds in the sky — depressing.
- Bullies. Some people torment and intimidate others to make themselves feel powerful.
- Haters. Some folks think they’ve been unfairly treated — they’re angry at the world — and they let you know it.
- Mean-spirited. Some people are cruel and demeaning. They treat others like dirt.
- Hypocrites. Some folks are quick to volunteer someone else, but rarely (if ever) raise their own hand — selfish.
- Moody. Some people have more ups and downs than an elevator.
- Righteous. Some folks constantly persuade you to adopt their values or way of thinking.
- Egotists. Some people have real attitude. They think the world revolves around them and that they’re better than everyone else.
- Rude. Some folks never learned proper manners. They’re vulgar, disrespectful, and flat-out offensive at times.
- Greedy. Some people never have enough. They’re like sharks that spend their entire life hunting and consuming.
When you surround yourself with toxic people, you’re forced to swim against the tide.
You’re Only As Good As the Company You Keep
Top-notch people contribute to your life in meaningful ways. They possess the following qualities:
Friends. These folks make every day special. They care about you and are genuinely happy for your success. You can count on them in good times AND
Cheerleaders. These folks energize you. They make you feel good about yourself and inspire you to be your best. Surround yourself with positive people; their energy is contagious.
Coaches. These folks challenge you to leave your comfort zone and offer constructive feedback to better your game.
Teachers. These folks show you the ropes in a nonthreatening way.
Role models. These folks have strong moral character and impeccable values. You hope their behavior rubs off on you — and it usually does.
All these folks serve as a positive influence in your life. They’re caring, giving, and supportive. They set high standards and live honorable lives. They’ll inspire you to be your best and help you to reach your full potential. The fact is, you determine the people you spend your time with. Choose wisely.
Do You Surround Yourself with Top-Notch People?
Please leave a comment and tell us what you think or share it with someone who can benefit from the information.