On an average day, do you control your agenda, or do unplanned events control you? Are things manageable, or do you constantly feel under the gun Do you manage the daily pressure well, or do you feel as though you carry the weight of the world on your shoulders? Stressed out? What’s the cause?
Stress and anxiety have a detrimental impact on your health, your relationships, and the quality of your life. Unforeseen events and external forces beyond our control create some of the stresses that we experience every day; other times we’re simply doing it to ourselves. Is stress inflicted on you — or created by you?
Stressed Out? Where Does It Originate?
Next time you feel a knot in your shoulders or a nagging feeling in the pit of your stomach, determine whether one of these 25 situations is causing you to be stressed out:
- Wait until the last minute? Some people get an adrenaline rush from doing everything at the last second.
- Bite off more than you can chew? Some folks view an overflowing plate as a badge of honor. It’s also a constant source of pressure.
- Refuse to ask for help? Some people are too proud to request assistance. They’d rather pull their hair out for hours than ask for help.
- Set unrealistic goals? Some folks set unreasonable goals without considering the consequences –– they’ll have to honor those commitments.
- Push your limits? Some people don’t recognize their threshold for pain. They drive themselves to the brink…and then push themselves a little more.
- Impose your will? Some folks try to change people who don’t want to change.
- Take everything personally? Some people get defensive when receiving negative comments. They view feedback as a personal attack rather than as constructive advice.
- Control the uncontrollable? Some folks accept responsibility for things beyond their control, even though they can’t affect the outcome.
- Get down on yourself? Some people demand perfection and beat themselves up if they achieve anything less.
- Try to be right all the time? Some folks try to win every encounter, regardless of whether it’s important or trivial.
- Allow negativity to consume your thoughts? Some people allow negative thoughts such as hate, envy, or revenge to consume them.
- Try to squeeze 25 hours into a 24-hour day? Some folks are always on the run. They’re anxious because they’re always a few minutes behind schedule.
- Refuse to say “no”? Some people get sucked into commitments because they’re uncomfortable saying “no.”
- Allow yourself to be distracted? Some folks get so hijacked by other people’s priorities that they don’t have time to tackle their own.
- Keep up with the Joneses? Some people measure success by comparing themselves to others. It’s a never-ending game.
- Fail to delegate? Some folks are control freaks and can’t let things go. They try to do everything themselves.
- Demand instant results? Some people lack patience. They want everything right away.
- Try to complete everything? Some folks try to clean their plate before leaving at night. That adds additional stress to a pressure-packed day.
- Pretend to be someone other than yourself? Some people create a facade to win acceptance from others.
- Live up to everyone’s expectations? Some folks focus so much on making others happy that they end up sacrificing their own happiness.
- Put out fires? Some people take on so much that they do everything half-heartedly. This causes them to run from problem to problem.
- Try to be macho? Some folks push, push, push. They refuse to take a break or give themselves any relief.
- Demand perfection rather than excellence? Some people expect perfection and work hard to attain it. They get anxious if it eludes them.
- Play catch-up? Some folks waste time and then pressure themselves to make up for it.
- Ignore your conscience? Some people behave inappropriately and are then forced to defend — or rebuild — their reputation.
If any of these situations sound familiar, ask yourself whether it’s better to change your ways or to bear the pain.
Are You Stressed Out? What’s the Source?
Please leave a comment and tell us what you think or share it with someone who can benefit from the information.
Are You Busy Beyond Belief?
It’s YOUR Life. Are You in Control?
42 Ways to Make Your Life Easier
Doing Nothing Is Time Well Spent
Your Happiness Lies in the Balance
If you like this article, subscribe to our blog so that you don’t miss a single post. Get future posts by RSS feed, email or Facebook. It’s FREE.
asutin machnik says
I love you blog page I’m a student that was to find a blog page that speaks to them and just reading everything you post made me think and I cant thank you enough for posting everything you do. and hearing back from you about how you got in to what you do, and how hard it was to be found.
This is the most eye-opening list I’ve seen on the subject, thanks!
Frank Sonnenberg says
Thanks. I’m glad you like it. You may also be interested in reading “30 Powerful Tips to Reduce Stress in Your Life.” Here’s the link if you’re interested.
Thanks for taking the time to write.