Go Ahead … Pat Yourself on the Back
If you’re oblivious to the wonderful things that you do each day, force yourself to see them. One of the nicest gifts that you can give someone is a sincere compliment. Maybe it’s time to give yourself a pat on the back.
When you praise yourself for being awesome, you’re not telling a fib; you’re doing wonderful things every day. The problem is that you choose not to see it, much less compliment yourself for a job well done. How would you feel if you did something awesome for someone and they chose not to recognize it? Don’t you deserve the same respect from yourself?
Give Yourself a Pat on the Back
Sometimes you deserve a pat on the back, even if you have to do it yourself. Identify 10 reasons to pat yourself on the back — each day — using the list below. Did you:
- Step outside your comfort zone?
- Refuse to let a problem ruin your day?
- Help a stranger in need?
- Maintain willpower rather than surrender to temptation?
- Knock key items off your to-do list?
- Ask for help rather than go it alone?
- Make someone feel good about him- or herself?
- Complete a task that you despise?
- Listen to your conscience?
- Put someone’s interests ahead of your own?
- Perform a favor without asking for something in return?
- Run toward a problem rather than away from it?
- Barrel through a tough assignment?
- Cast aside your fears and go for it?
- Forgive someone who disappointed you?
- Keep your calm while others lost their heads?
- See the positive when others saw only the negative?
- Delegate tasks rather than maintain tight control?
- Remain determined rather than quit?
- Juggle several balls without getting flustered?
- Comfort a friend during a rough patch?
- Exceed your own expectations?
- Advocate for yourself rather than keep silent?
- Overcome an obstacle?
- Accept responsibility rather than cast blame?
Some people are perfectionists; they consider anything short of perfection a failure. Instead of celebrating the important progress they’re making to achieve their goals, they focus on their shortcomings, as well as on all the work that still remains to be completed.
The problem is that constantly looking for and belittling yourself for minor infractions is debilitating and can negatively impact your confidence over time. That’s why it’s important to recognize and reward your progress as you strive for excellence. One of the best ways to build your self-esteem is to identify wins and give yourself a pat on the back each day. That will help you build confidence as you strive to achieve your long-term goals.
Did You Give Yourself a Pat in the Back Today?
Please leave a comment and tell us what you think or share it with someone who can benefit from the information.
Are You Too Tough On Yourself?
Do You Compare Yourself to Others?
Do You Have a Healthy Mindset?
The Power of a Positive Attitude
Surround Yourself with Top-Notch People
When You’re a Perfectionist, Your Work Is Never Done
Be Nice to Yourself